About the Program
The NACC Personal Support Worker Program at KLC College is a certificate program approved by the Ministry of Education. The Full Time Program consists of 24 weeks of in class theory, demonstrations and clinical placements. Students will gain valuable knowledge and skills during the theory portion in preparation for clinical placement that commences once the theory has been successfully completed. The Part Time Program is 35 weeks and students complete theory several evenings a week with clinical placements on weekends.
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) program prepares graduates to provide supportive care to individuals across the lifespan by assisting them with their activities of daily living. Clients may vary to include the following: clients experiencing cognitive impairment, physical disability, and mental health challenges. Graduates typically find entry-level employment in a variety of care settings including community, retirement homes, long-term care homes, and hospitals.
Safety and Mobility
Assisting with Personal Hygiene
Abuse and Neglect
Household Management, Nutrition and Hydration
Care Planning / Restorative Care / Documentation / Working in the Community
Assisting the Family, Growth and Development
Assisting the Dying Person
Assisting with Medications
Cognitive and Mental Health Issues and Brain Injuries
Clinical placement provides students with an opportunity to practice their new skills in a work setting. While on placement, students gain experience in a wide range of PSW skills, become more self-confident, and in some cases receive offers of employment from the placement site. During clinical placements, students will spend time working in a facility, community agency, acute care facility and various other settings under the supervision of their instructor and under a preceptor provided by the host site.
Essentials of Hospice Palliative Care is an approach that improves the quality of life of patients and their families facing problems associated with life threatening illness, through the treatment and relief of suffering by means of early identification, assessment, observations and treatment of pain and other problems, physical, psychosocial and spiritual.
Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA) is an innovative education curriculum that was developed so that professional caregivers can enhance their compassionate and effective techniques to help persons with dementia when they are very upset and frustrated. GPA allows health care workers to intervene in an effective manner that is non-punitive, respectful, and self-protective.
First Aid/CPR (Level C) Comprehensive two-day course offering first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) skills. Includes the latest first aid and CPR guidelines.
Mealtime Assistance Certification The Mealtime Assistance Program (MAP) is an educational program aimed at training volunteers, personal caregivers and family members in ways of providing optimal assistance to patients at mealtime.
1. Grade 12 -Ontario Secondary School Diploma Equivalency (OSSD) OR Equivalent (foreign credentials must be translated into English and compared for Grade 12 equivalency by a recognized organization) OR Mature student with a score of 14 or more on the Wonderlic SLE
2. Medical Certificate (Immunization Form) – Student must be fit to complete ALL components of the program and have up-to-date immunization status. Immunization for Hepatitis B for nonimmune students is recommended.
3. Signed Disclaimer for Students in Program Leading to Work with Vulnerable Sectors
4. Canada wide Police Clearance of Criminal Record including Vulnerable Sector, within 30 business days of starting school – NOTE: If long-term care facility placement does not begin until after 6 months following provision of the original Clearance, the student must have the Clearance completed again to satisfy placement requirements.
5. A Technical Literacy Exam- must be completed by all students as part of the admission process, and prior to accepting the student for admission to the program.
Helen Henderson Care Centre
Kingston General Hospital
Carveth Care Centre
Trillium Retirement and Care Community
Saint Elizabeth Health Care
Lennox & Addington County General Hospital
And many many more….
A Personal Support Worker Career is perfect for you if ….
· You demonstrate the ability to work in a variety of settings
· You like to establish and maintain positive supportive relationships
· You are dependable, punctual and flexible
· You enjoying working with the public
· You want to provide dignified and respectful care to clients